Pen tests and secure code reviews are both essential procedures in a safe software development program. But, if you could only do one of them, and you only had a limited amount of time or money, which would you pick? Which method will uncover more issues and provide you with more information about your app’s and team’s security? What is the best way to get the most bang for your buck? Penetration testing and source code reviews are two very distinct things: they involve different amounts of effort on your side, they uncover different issues, and they provide you with different data.
Definition of Source Code Review: Source code review is the examination of an application source code to find errors overlooked in the initial development phase.
Definition of Penetration Testing: A penetration test is an attempt to evaluate the security of an IT infrastructure by safely trying to exploit vulnerabilities.
Objective of Penetration Testing and Source Code Review:
- Penetration Testing is used to discover security flaws in a network, system, or piece of software. Once they’ve been identified, the people who manage the systems or software can fix or mitigate the flaws before hostile parties notice them.
- The most popular approach for assessing feature design and implementation is code review. It enables developers to maintain uniformity across numerous team members’ design and execution “styles” as well as across various projects on which the organization is engaged.
Why Penetration Testing is Important?
A penetration test simulates a cyber attack on your computer system in order to find vulnerable flaws. In the context of web application security, penetration testing is typically employed to enhance a web application firewall.
Why Source Code Review is Important?
Before your product moves on to the next level, code review can assist uncover faults and basic coding errors, making the process of getting the software to the consumer more efficient. It’s fantastic just to look at someone’s code and find problems.
Benefits of Penetration Testing:
- Reveal vulnerabilities: Penetration testing looks for flaws in your system’s or application’s setup, as well as your network architecture. During penetration examinations, even your employees’ activities and habits that potentially lead to data breaches and hostile infiltration are investigated.
- Ensure business continuity: You require network availability, 24/7 communications, and access to resources to ensure that your business activities are always up and running. Every hiccup will have a detrimental influence on your company. Penetration tests uncover potential dangers and guarantee that your operations are not disrupted by unplanned downtime or a lack of accessibility.
- Have a third-party expert opinion: Your management may be hesitant to react or act when an issue is identified by someone inside your organization. A third-party expert’s report has a higher impact on your management, and it may result in more money being given.
Benefits of Source Code Review:
- Consistency in design and implementation is ensured: Every programmer has his or her own programming style. In large projects, it goes without saying that numerous developers are involved. When developers stick to their own coding styles throughout development, communication suffers, and progress is slowed.
- Code optimization for improved performance: When it comes to code optimization, code review assists younger developers in identifying areas for improvement. By inviting a fresh pair of eyes to review each code unit, code review helps eliminate these errors before moving on to the next phase. The reviewer then checks for and corrects any problems that may have occurred.
- collaborating and exchanging new ideas: While coding, programmers spend the majority of their time alone. Code review, on the other hand, encourages developer collaboration. This encourages developers to talk about their code and share their ideas with one another. Furthermore, it promotes mutual trust among the engineers.
The quality of the web application code is checked by source code review. Penetration testing, on the other hand, exposes the flaws in web app logic. Source code review combined with penetration testing by several pen-testers is an effective combo that addresses the majority of web application flaws. When it comes to business online applications, it’s better to invest in security rather than try to fix security flaws. If your company places a high priority on security, you’ll require both CyberNX Source code review and penetration testing.
Want to learn more about Source code review and penetration testing, visit our website here